Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Postponed :(

I checked in at the hospital at 9:30 this morning along with my husband and had some blood drawn, then was called back to the pre-op area. I changed into a gown, they put the compression thingies on my legs and, after three tries on one arm and a final attempt on the other, they started an IV (I have some beautiful bruises on my left arm from the failed attempts, though). Then they gave me some bad news: apparently, the person having the surgery before me had some complications, so I would have to wait a couple of hours. So, we settled in to wait.

And we waited. And waited. And waited. TV was boring, so I got up and we made a few rounds of the same-day surgery area (where the pre-op and post-op beds are). Finally, around 1:30, the nurse liaison, who is also the program coordinator for the Utah Valley Surgical Weight Loss Program, came to talk to me. She warned me that I was going to hate her...I guess that same person was still having problems, and the surgeon decided that they weren't going to be able to do my surgery today. SERIOUSLY?!?!? I put on a brave face, but I was soooooo disappointed. It's been postponed until next Wednesday, January 19th. Sigh. At least they promised me that I will be first on the list that day, meaning there won't be anyone before me to delay my surgery.

This changes a lot of things. Luckily, it's not a huge problem if I just go back to work for the next week, so that's all right. But the kicker is that my mother drove up here from CA to stay with my son while I was in the hospital. She took time off her two jobs especially for this, and it would be too much of a burden on her to stay the extra week until my surgery actually takes place, so...she's driving back home right now. And I don't think she'll be back next week because it's just too complicated to take another week off, drive back up here again, and all that stuff. I assured her that we'll be fine, that my sisters can help out, but I'm pretty bummed that she won't be here. I was looking forward to my mommy being around :(

But hey, this gives me some more time to shrink my liver with the high protein, low carb diet I've been on. I've been released to add some high-protein foods to my diet, such as cottage cheese, eggs, and string cheese, though protein shakes should still make up the bulk of my intake. This will also give me more time to get some supplies I neglected to get, like chewable multivitamins and small dishes.

It's been a very emotional day for me, so I think I'm going to go to bed early. So much of myself has led up to this day, and now I have a whole week in front of me to build myself up again. It's going to be rough.

3 comments:

Writing Group Blog said...

That's so disappointing. But now you know FOR SURE that it'll happen next week. Hang in there!

Mamapierce said...

I am so super duper sorry, Carina. I know what it means to have important appointments delayed. BLURGH! I hope the next week goes by FAST! Hang in there! At least you can eat a bit more variety now. That's good. Focus on the positives. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, I'm so proud of your good attitude. Of course you were disappointed...I was too! I wanted to be there with you guys when you come out of the hospital! But it looks like there may be another plan. There's still a possibility I can come up, but it's slim, I'll admit, considering our trip at the end of the month and reservations already being made, etc.

You are close once again. less than a week til you are on your way to serious weight loss. I'm super proud of all your preparations, and know you will do great with the recovery. I love you tons and oodles!

~Mom