Friday, January 7, 2011

Four days! So close!

I met with the pre-op nurse today for some bloodwork, an EKG (I think because of my high blood pressure), and just some general discussion about Tuesday. Nothing hugely exciting to report, except...

I've lost 16 pounds already!

That's what a liquid diet will do to you =P Actually, let me clarify. I'm not sure where I was when I started the liquid diet because the scales at my parents' house don't go high enough to weigh me (but they will someday!), so I'm basing that weight loss off the last weight I registered when I visited my primary care doctor back in late November, I think. So, yay!

Everything else was just a basic overview of what things will be like on Tuesday before and after surgery. I don't know yet what time of day I'll be having it, but right now I'm last on the schedule...oh, fun. Hey, as long as it gets done, that is what's important, right? :)

I've debated writing about this, mostly because I'm a little ashamed, especially with all the wonderfully supportive "go Carina!"-type comments on my last post (for which I am so grateful--thank you all, seriously), but I promised myself I would be completely honest on this blog. The truth is, I slipped up recently. I had some chips and salsa, which has historically been one of my vices, and a small peanut butter sandwich. I know, I know! I need to follow doctor's orders! I kept the amount small, at least, and I feel so badly about doing it. I won't do it again, I promise. I'm too close to the surgery date to "get away" with anything, and I need to prove to myself that I can pick myself up after I fall and try again.

But there is my confession. Do with it what you will. I am human! I have frailties! I think that's obvious when you look at me--you can see plainly that I have a problem with nutrition. But I'm taking control now, and while I am not 100% perfect all the time, I am trying. I know that this surgery will give me the tool to conquer my lifelong battle. I know I end almost every post this way, but I need the reaffirmation to keep myself in this mindset. I am going to do this. I can and I will!

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Don't beat yourself up, Carina. I totally understand slipping up when you're on a liquid diet! Hello! We need more food than that! And 16 pounds down? That alone should keep you smiling right now! You did that ALL ON YOUR OWN without gastric bypass! Pat yourself on the back - you DESERVE it!!!

Writing Group Blog said...

16 pounds is amazing! Way to go! And you totally have to be honest because then your accomplishments will be REAL and you can own it because you have been completely honest with yourself the whole way. You're doing great. I'm so excited to hear how it goes! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Brianne said...

You can do it! =) Hopefully I can get a ride over to see you in the hospital :-o Keep us updated on details! (or have Cody do so, that's fine)

Svedi Pie said...

Oh wow! I've been checking your regular blog lately and haven't looked at this one for a while, I can see I need to check more regularly! 16lbs is amazing!! That's really impressive. I hope and pray that everything goes well as you are starting this journey - keep it up girl!!

Also just a couple of thoughts in general: Our bodies are simply amazing and it's natural state is a healthy one, as long as we are trying our best towards health it will move in that direction - it's what our bodies are designed to do, so even if the scale doesn't move know you are getting more and more healthy! Also don't put limits on what your body can accomplish - remember when they said that it's healthy to only lose 1-2lbs a week? I totally disagree with that, and you proved it 16lbs in a few weeks is such an accomplishment!!

Love you girl! Good luck!!