Thanks to everyone for your advice on my last post. I haven't yet had the chance to implement any of the changes I want to make, but I will! It's hard during the week when I get from work and just want to rest. I hope to make a good shopping list and get some healthy stuff this weekend.
I had a glucose and lipid screening a couple weeks ago at my work. I love that they have these occasional health assessments--and best of all, they're free! So how did I do, you ask? Well, let me tell you. I did this same screening last year (almost to the date--last year it was March 30th, this year March 27th), so I'll compare the two.
Okay, so first off, my blood pressure: Normal is 120/80. Last year? 136/88. This year? 114/76. Yeah, baby!
Glucose level: Normal is between 65 and 100. Last year? 90. This year? 78. Beautiful.
Cholesterol: Less than 200 is good. Last year? 187. This year? 139. I'd say I'm good, then.
Triglycerides: Desired range is less than 150. Last year? 225. This year? 61. AWESOME.
HDL: Desired range is over 40. Last year? 34. This year? 56. Yep.
LDL: Desired is less than 130. Last year? 108. This year? 71. Hooray!
So, guess what, everybody? I HAD COMPLETELY NORMAL BLOODWORK. At least, it looks normal to me. I'm getting these results just from a piece of paper from the Health Center. They haven't been reviewed by anyone, and printout says "it is your responsibility to share the results with your physician and to follow up about what the results mean and anything you should do about them." I think I'll just bring these the next time I see a doctor and see what she thinks. But like I said, it looks good to me, so I'm not worried.
I named this blog "My Pursuit of Health" for a reason. It's never been about how much weight I could lose--I mean, that's an important part, and I have really enjoyed the benefits (and you all are so sweet with all your compliments! Whenever I have a bad day, I just come here and read all the nice things my friends say about me...cheers me up in no time), but my reason for doing what I did is to get HEALTHY. Just because you have a normal weight doesn't mean you're healthy. That's why I like to look at these kinds of results. I'm still overweight (working on it!), but those numbers don't lie. Those are healthy ranges and I am beyond thrilled to see them. It's been a long journey, and I can only hope to continue on this path and keep seeing these types of numbers for the rest of my life.

2 comments:
Hooray! You are so right - pursuit of health should be your focus. Oh, and you look awesome, too. :D
Yay nice work!! And I've seen you and know that it IS work. Way to be awesome and healthy. :)
Post a Comment