Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Food

My relationship with food has changed a lot over the past 16 months. Of course, that's a given when you go through something like I have. But it's still weird to think about. I mean, I never used to worry about what I would order when I went to a fast food place or a restaurant--there was always SOMEthing I knew I could eat. Now, that's totally different. I find myself checking menus online, analyzing the size and the carb/protein content to get the best bang for my buck. I'm still not used to it.

But I've noticed a difference over the past little while. I can tolerate a lot more than I used to. I mean, I'm still far away from being able to eat a plate of spaghetti (I don't think I'll ever get back to that point--noodles just aren't my friend anymore), but I actually had a grilled cheese sandwich the other day. I ripped off the crust and it took me at least 20 minutes to eat it, but it was tasty. I think I'm going to look into getting some low carb bread. Pretty sure it's available somewhere.

I think I need to be more creative with what I eat. I find myself making poor choices when I don't plan ahead. I mean, I'm still not overeating--believe me, it's almost impossible for me to overeat because of how sensitive my pouch is--but instead of eating the protein-rich chicken or fish, I'll have some peanut butter crackers or something like that. Still very small amounts, but I need to focus more on getting the protein that my body needs. And the veggies--lettuce is hard to digest sometimes, so salads are unfortunately not the best option, but I find that cucumbers are quite tasty. I guess I'm kinda like my son in that way--or he's kinda like me. I love cucumbers and Catalina dressing. So tasty.

Anyway, so I hereby resolve to look up some more wieght-loss-surgery-friendly recipes. I know of one blog, bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com, that has some very intriguing recipes on there--the hard part is just buckling down, actually buying the ingredients, and taking the time to make it! It's difficult finding the motivation for something like that when you work full-time, you have a family, and you have another job from home in the evenings. I just hate spending the two hours I get with my son every day cooking my dinner. It's so much easier to grab something ready-made. But I shouldn't do that anymore. Maybe I should find some crock pot recipes...anyway. Just thinking out loud here.

This is my resolve to be better. I am holding myself accountable and asking you to do the same! Thanks for all your support!

5 comments:

suzanne said...

You look A MAZING!! I am so proud of you. You have just put yourself to the task, and ran with it... all the way to the finish line. Wow. I hope you are patting yourself on the back! One of the best ways I have stayed the course in the past was to learn to reward myself in a non food way. For example, if I stayed on track for a specified period of time, then I would get "x" reward. It really helps when constantly denying yourself when it seems everyone else just eats whatever they choose. When you feel you kept to your diet and it felt like a sacrifice, put the $$ you would have spent on food in the past into a reward jar. As you deny yourself, the $$ adds up and you get a great reward for doing so! It really helps to teach your mind your are getting rewarded to eat right! Just a thought!
But seriously, just keep on keeping on! What you are doing is obviously working, and you are beautiful in every way!

The Hulls said...

Crock pot recipes are a great idea! If you don't want to spend a lot of time cooking at night, look into freezer meals. Take a Saturday a month and make a bunch of meals and then freeze them. Usually you have to add cooking time to them when you are ready to bake, but at least the prep work on a weekday night is only the time it takes to walk from the freezer to the stove/oven. A lot of freezer meals can be done in the crock pot too. Many of the casseroles my mom used to make, I prepare in the crock pot. Good luck Carina. You truly look amazing and so beautiful!

Sara Lyn said...

Because of recent discoveries of some major food sensitivities, I've been learning, too, about the need to plan ahead. It's kind of a pain, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I try to plan a few "convenience" foods (that are still things I can eat) for "emergencies." Then I try to only use those sparingly, but often enough that I'm not burning myself out with all the prep. I've also, luckily, found a several things that are fairly low time on prep, which also helps. Cami had some great ideas about crock pots and freezing meals. I've been meaning to start doing that. Good luck!! I really admire all your hard work the past few years!!

Linda said...

It has been inspirational to watch you change Carina. I have to agree with everyone here you look amazing. I am so happy for you. Don't beat yourself up over what you don't know right now about changing your eating. Start with one small change and ask God to inspire you and before long you will have added lots of healthy choices into your family's diet. Good Luck, God be with you

Mamapierce said...

Crock pot recipes ALL THE WAY! And they make great leftovers! I cannot imagine all the changes you are going through, but I am super impressed with your great outlook. Rock it, girl!