I participated in a free health screening at my place of employment recently, and I just got the results back today. Of course, there are still things I need to improve, but I think I'm on my way. Here are my findings:
My BP was 136/88. That's slightly elevated, but hey, it's low enough that I don't need medication anymore, and the more weight I lose, the lower it should be. Woot woot!
Glucose level: 90. Lower than 100 is good. Sugar makes me slightly sick anyway, thanks to my surgery. Thankfully, I found some tasty no-sugar-added ice cream that I eat to give myself a treat every now and then :)
Cholesterol: 187. That's great! Desired range is lower than 200, so yay :)
Triglycerides: 225. These are high. I'm not sure what I can do to lower them, as I've learned that high levels can be caused by hypothyroidism, which I have regardless of my weight. I'll just have to watch this.
HDL: 34 (desired range is 40-60). These are low. Apparently I can raise them by losing weight, increasing my physical activity, and eating healthier fats--all of which I am currently doing, so I should see this increase with time.
LDL: 108 (ideal is below 130). This is perfect, I think :)
Oh, and something else cool that I figured out has to do with BMI (Body Mass Index). I have always hated BMI, because it doesn't take into account how much muscle you have or anything like that. Anyway, I realized today that I started out with a BMI of 59. That is HIGH. And as of my last weigh-in, my BMI is 43. I think that's pretty darn good. I'm shooting to get under 30 someday (ideal would be under 25, since that's the threshold between normal BMI and overweight), so we'll see how soon I can get there.
It's so good to know that I'm on my way to a healthier me--not just that I look better, but I'm adding years to my life. And that's awesome.

6 comments:
Way to go! I love your updated pic on the side. You look AMAZING! Keep going woman, you are a rock! (And say hi to your parents for me).
What a fun health analysis! And it was free, too? Nice! How are you feeling now? Adjusting to the new diet?
Yay Carina! I'll bet it is so rewarding to see the numbers changing in the healthy direction!! Love you girl!
Woo hoo! Good numbers, Carina =) Just keep doin what you're doin and they'll probably keep improving. I wonder what my triglycerides are...I probably have that on record somewhere from YBeFit...
Ooh, Brianne, that's a great idea. I should go check my numbers from YBeFit and compare them, see how much they have improved :)
did you check? I wonder too...
Awesome results btw!
Post a Comment