I am now *technically* half-way through my pregnancy--I hit the 20-week mark two days ago. I say technically because I didn't even find out I was pregnant until 6 weeks into it, so it sure doesn't feel like half-way. But anyway, that's how far along I am.
I started this week with a much-anticipated ultrasound on Monday. Our little one was breech (which is fine since it's still so small and will continue to keep moving around and doing flips and whatnot for the time being) and facing downwards. It was wiggling a lot, but luckily the tech was able to measure everything that was needed. The one downside to the ultrasound? Baby was too modest so we couldn't find out the gender! It just refused to show that angle. We were a little bummed to not have found out, but my main request of this ultrasound was that baby is healthy, and as far as we knew when we left, it was.
I then got to follow up with my actual OB yesterday and confirm that yes, baby is measuring great--just one day behind in terms of my dates (I was 19w5d the day of the ultrasound and baby was measuring 19w4d). It weighed about 12 ounces. All the parts and pieces looked good: spine, heart, brain, face, legs, etc. My doctor was disappointed as well that we didn't find out what we're having.
As far as me personally, I am happy to report that I have gained a total of 10 pounds since my first pre-natal appointment. That is exactly right on track. I was surprised, because I honestly feel like I am eating constantly and my appetite is never sated. I had also not been exercising because I am just so tired lately. Instead of going to the gym on my lunch break, I've taken to lying outside on the grass and reading a book--it's one of the few times I get any downtime. But anyway, while I was kind of freaking out that I'll find I've gained 30 pounds or something it's only 10. And I'm okay with that. If I only gain a pound a week from here on out (which is the recommendation), that puts me at a total weight gain of 30 pounds, which is right in the middle of the recommended 25-35 pound weight gain for pregnancy. I can do that, right?
Oh, and my blood pressure was normal. No sign at all of pre-eclampsia. Haven't really noticed any swelling, either, and my urine was normal (thought you'd want to know that part). Wa-hoo!
Also, since my doctor is awesome, she said that we should do another ultrasound to check for growth of the baby, due to my being a somewhat high-risk pregnancy because of my limited nutrition and food intake. And of course, she said, while they're at it, we should have the technician check for gender and hopefully be able to tell us this time around. That'll be in another 3.5 weeks. I'm hoping that goes well.
All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. I can't believe how well things seem to be going with this pregnancy. All of my doubts and fears about getting pregnant so quickly after surgery and wondering how we would survive if I can't keep working because of complications--all those have been pretty much completely dissipated at this point. I mean, there's always the chance that something else will happen, but so far, we're okay. I am so blessed.

5 comments:
So glad to hear you are doing so well...shall we start placing bets then on what the sex is? If so, I say girl...Keep us posted...God is watching out for you :)
Yay! I love your updates! This just makes me so happy. Love you and your baby!
We are thrilled Baby Alleman appears to be healthy! Keep up the great work, little Mama, and get enough rest--you deserve it! We are also so grateful and pray daily for you. We love you.
Yay! Well at least you know that you're having a human child. Aren't you glad you found out the species? =)
I cannot believe that you are halfway through! Where does the time go? I personally think you are having a girl. I have a 50% chance of being right! ha ha! :D
Post a Comment