So, it's two days away...the 5K is this Saturday. I picked up my T-shirt, bib, and electronic chip thingy to put in my shoe to keep track of my time. Am I excited? Strangely, yes! Am I nervous? Oh, yeah. Especially since it's apparently supposed to rain. I didn't think about the elements affecting me reaching my goal. I'm sure I'll finish, and I'm not too worried about the length, but it's going to be hard. The first leg of it is a pretty steep hill, which I've been trying in vain to train for with some incline on the treadmill...but I'm sure it'll still kick my trash. As long as I do my best, that's all that can be expected, right? I'll post an update after the race, for sure!
In other news: looks like the weight loss plateau might be broken. Weighed in at 207 today! I don't know how that happened. I mean, I'm sure the scale at the gym isn't the most reliable thing, but still. It's weird to think that I'm only seven pounds away from "onederland"...pinch me, I must be dreaming!
I found an app for my phone that has really come in handy with my eating. It's from myfitnesspal.com, and it's really cool! You put in your height, weight, activity level, how much weight you want to lose and how quickly (1 pound a week, etc--be realistic!), and other information, and then it will tell you how many calories you should eat per day to reach that goal. Then, you can log every single thing you eat--like a food diary, but cooler because it already has a database of almost every food you can imagine, complete with the caloric total, fat content, protein, etc. You can even put in your exercise, and the app adds those calories that you burned to your total calories for the day, so you can eat more (if you want). Seriously, try it out!
It's actually really brought my attention to a few things I've been meaning to address. I wouldn't be completely honest here if I didn't admit to eating things that are FAR from appropriate for a post-bariatric surgery patient. I've been eating ice cream, chips, Cheetos, donuts, pop tarts...I mean, that's not ALL I eat, but I've been letting myself indulge a lot more than I really should. Granted, I can't gorge myself on these things, but having two pop tarts for breakfast is not nearly as good as some Greek yogurt and a banana, you know? So keeping track of these things on My Fitness Pal has helped me see that, while I'm not really having a problem staying under my caloric goal, the fat and/or sugar content of what I've been eating could--and should!--be better. Of course, I have good days and bad days, as do we all. But it's helping me resolve to be better.
Oh, and I put on some pants for work yesterday morning, pants that I bought in October and already had my mom take in on the sides over Christmas break, and...yeah, they're totally too big. The crotch was hanging down about mid-thigh. I think my weight has been redistributing itself, even though my weight hasn't changed a ton over the past couple months. I'll take it :)

4 comments:
Way to go! I should eat better too. Been using the excuse of nursing for too long! Let's do better together - starting Saturday morning! (With a break Sat evening...then resume on Sunday.) :)
Good luck on the race. I am excited for you.
I love my fitness pal. A nutritionist recommended it to me, and using it as my only tool, I have lost over 25 pounds. It is a great weight loss tool. I am so happy you are using it. You are doing awesome!
That is so awesome that you did the run! And how fun to have Kirsti and Brianne do it too! And I had to say I love myfitnesspal too! I was introduced to it and really needed help with calorie counting while training for a half marathon. It really is great. Keep it up on the running. You will see improvements and it will surprise you! Awesome job and congratulations!
Post a Comment