Sunday, March 18, 2012

I did it!!!!!

Just 15 short months ago, I never would have thought that I could run a race. I mean, I'd done a 5K once before in my life, but that was a long time ago and I didn't think that I, who got winded walking the 7 stairs from my front door to the hallway of our duplex, could ever, EVER do that again. 

Yesterday, I proved myself wrong.

It was cold. It was windy. The hills were killer. The last water station ran out of cups before I got there. I had to stop and walk a lot more often than I wanted to. I got really dizzy and almost passed out while waiting in line afterwards for some post-race goodies (granola bars, bananas--you know, healthy stuff). But the important thing is: I DID IT. And it actually felt good to do it. 

My time was 39:19. It was a little longer than I had wanted to, but I beat my original goal of under 40 minutes, so I'm happy about that. I actually learned later that this particular course was just slightly longer than an actual 5K (by a 10th of a mile or something like that), so maybe I did beat my time from 2005, I'm not sure. I may do another one later this summer, and I can make another goal for that race to beat my time from this one. Yes? =)

Up until now, I've only posted pictures of myself on this blog, but I need to make sure I recognize those in my life who have pushed me to reach this accomplishment. Plus, this blog is becoming more of a journal for me, a chance for me to look back and see how far I've come. So, here are some pictures! 

Here is everyone crowded at the start of the race:
 My adorable son, waiting to cheer me on from the bleachers with his daddy:
 Coming up on the last leg of the race (that's me in green--hey, it was St. Patrick's Day!):
 Gotta speed it up for the last lap!
 Almost...there....
 I can see the finish line! Just around the bend!
 Me crossing the finish line! And while the time says 39:54, that's from when the cannon went off...my actual time of 39:19 was measured by the electronic chip thingy on my shoe, which didn't start until I actually crossed the starting line, since there were mobs of people there:
 I did it!!!!
 This is everyone that did the race with me. My sisters B & K, K's daughter M (who rode in the stroller, of course), K's husband R, and myself. 
 My family and my reason for living. I'm so glad to know that, because of the changes I have made over the past year plus, I should be around a lot longer to enjoy these two wonderful men in my life. Love you both so much.
And thanks to you all out there for your support! I couldn't have done it without you!!!!

6 comments:

Linda said...

What an amazing feat for you. I think I have some idea how much this meant to you and those you love. My family has really been my cheerleaders and support as well AND the biggest reason I have done as well as I have to this point. I have not lost as much as you. Since I last saw you I have lost 80 lbs and still have 80 to 90 more to do.. You are inspiring. Proud of you my friend!

Brianne said...

Word. =) Great job! And you beat me by 8 seconds; a few months ago did you expect you'd do that? You're awesome!

Writing Group Blog said...

Paul just sat here saying "Wow! She looks amazing! I'm really proud of her. Good for her!" You really are amazing. A 5k is no small feat. I am proud that I was with you when you ran your last 5k, and even more proud that you beat your time! Seriously so awesome. Losing weight is one battle, but being strong and healthy is like fighting two battles at once. I'm so happy for you and proud of you!

Kirsti said...

That's my sister! (Well, one of them anyway.) So proud of all you've done and continue to do. I'm really glad you and Bri challenged me to do the race as well, even if we did walk almost all of it and finished way later than you did. :) Keep up the awesome work!!

Mamapierce said...

Great job! I bet you feel awesome for doing this race. Congratulations! :)

Svedi Pie said...

This is so awesome! I love that you put some of Joshua and Cody in here too :). What a great accomplishment, and so happy you beat your goal. You should feel so proud. I love these achievement moments and so happy for you!