Wednesday, January 11, 2012

One Year Ago...

This day last year was a really hard day for me...it was the day I was originally supposed to have my surgery, but it got postponed. What emotions ran through me that day! How little did I know of what I would look like and who I would be just one year later!

I did it, guys. I have officially lost over HALF my body weight. I weighed in at 217 at the doctor's office today, so I'm down a total of 220 pounds from my highest ever (Nov 2010). I'm guessing you want to see a picture...
 Yes, I think I need new jeans.

I had my annual check-up with my surgeon today, even though it's a little early since my actual surgery date. I'm no longer obese! I'm now officially simply "overweight." I don't think I've ever been happier to be called overweight. The doctor asked me what my goal weight was, and I said around 190. He said that's a good goal, that I should be able to get there if I continue the way I'm going. I'm only 27 pounds away! I can do that, right? Blood levels were good, BP was normal...I can't even believe it. I don't recognize myself in pictures. I really don't. It's weird.


The doctor also asked me today about skin removal. Not that he was encouraging it, but just letting me know that it's an option if I want it. I will spare you a picture of my saggy tummy, but here's a lovely picture of my arms right now:

I don't think they're that bad...I'm going to keep doing some strength training and see how much I can tone them up. Maybe in a few years.

My sister and I have decided to run a 5K in March. It's going to be awesome. I don't love running and I'm not sure that I ever will, but I do have a life goal to run a marathon someday (hey, Biggest Loser people can do it, so why not me?), and this is one step closer to it. Wish me luck!

Thanks for your support, everyone!

7 comments:

Brianne said...

Yay! You look great! Really, you do =) Want to run a 10K or maybe even a half marathon this summer after the 5K in March? :-o

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Carina. You have always been beautiful, but now I think more people can see it. I support your lofty running goals and am so glad you and your sister have joined forces. That day one year ago was also hard on me--I am so grateful it was just a delay, not a cancellation altogether. The purpose of this amazing year is being realized in your good health, and although I know it has been a difficult road, I'm so proud of you! I love you.

Mamapierce said...

Wow! What an amazing accomplishment! SO happy for you! :D

halla said...

Mae!!!
You look awesome!!!! My brother had similar surgery that you had and as far as skin removal he took it in stages.... he did his legs one year and his stomach another then his arms. It made a ton of difference and his quality of life is so much better. As far as running goes, I didn't much enjoy it at first but I made a goal to run a 1/2 marathon last year and did 2 races. So it really can be fun. Keep it up!
Love Anamarie

Mickelle said...

So beautiful, Carina! There's a glow you in these shots that just RADIATES!

Bryn Webb said...

Yay Carina! We are cheering you on here. You look amazing.

Sam and Jen said...

Incredible really!!! You are amazing!!