Friday, June 17, 2011

Major Setback

I'm having a rough day today.

I had a check-up this morning with my primary care doctor. It was just supposed to be a regular appointment, with my annual exam and a couple blood tests. Most everything seemed good. My weight is still going down (a total of 153 now!), and the nurse even commented that I look like a different person now than when I started going to this office back in 2009.

Then they checked my blood pressure.

WHY, oh WHY is my BP high again? It was SUPER high today. They checked it several times to make sure it wasn't a machine error, and then at the end of the appointment, they even checked it manually. Each time, it was in the 160-170/100-120 range. That is BAD. And this means I get to go back on BP medication again...good thing I didn't throw it away before.

I gotta say, I'm not happy at all about this. In fact, it downright stinks. I felt the tears come as soon as I left the clinic and ended up sobbing in my car for awhile. I mean, how am I supposed to ever be able to have another baby if I can't get my blood pressure controlled? The specific medication I'm (back) on says you're not supposed to get pregnant while taking it. I know I'm not looking to get pregnant for another 1-2 years, but if my BP hasn't gone down after losing over 150 pounds, why would another 80-90 make much of a difference? And what else can I do? It's not like I'm overeating anymore.

I'm just a little--make that a LOT--depressed about this. I don't know what to do.

4 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Have you thought about taking your blood pressure once a day for a week and keeping track of it? Perhaps it fluxuates throughout the day/week/month? I'm sorry. That IS frustrating. :(

Svedi Pie said...

Oh Carina - that is so hard. I'm not sure what else to say except remember your body has been going through a lot the last few months, yes losing the weight is a great thing and you're amazing for sticking with it, but you've had two major surgeries this year and you've totally changed your diet so maybe just give yourself some time. I'm sure it will you'll be able to get the BP under control - just give yourself some time. Love you girl!

The Hulls said...

I love you girl. I'm sad that you're feeling down. I wish I could hand you a big glass of happy juice and make everything better. Like Shara said, maybe it is just a matter of time before everything evens out. I can imagine how you're feeling. Just know that we're all here for you.

suzanne said...

So sorry that you are having a hard time.....it WILL get better! I totally agree with Svedi Pie's advice. And yes, those final pounds will make a HUGE difference. I had to go on three different blood pressure meds to control my BP, and after taking the salt out of my diet and losing just 10 pounds I was able to drop one med completely, and only take 1/4 as much of the other two. It will be like turning the switch off. Keep working and praying and it will all work out! Sending love to you!