Well, apparently I'm having an endoscopy on Monday--it's officially called an esophagogastroduodenoscopy, or EGD. Why? Let me give you some back story. I've been having trouble keeping food down for awhile now. It depends on the type of food, but I've noticed a pattern that softer foods go through a lot more easily (stuff like refried beans, mashed potatoes, yogurt) and more solid foods often get stuck and I end up throwing up (usually happens with chicken, fish, or something else equally solid--once I threw up raw carrots). Since I need to eat solid foods to get the protein my body needs, you can see how this could be a problem.
I mentioned this to my surgeon last week, and he said that it's possible the opening (not sure if it's the one from my esophagus to my stomach or my stomach to my small intestine) is too narrow, which probably would have resulted from my second surgery, when they used a whole lot of glue and everything to hold it all together. He told me to keep an eye on it and let him know if it was a problem. After throwing up from a simple meal like clam chowder yesterday, I knew I needed help, so I called the nurse at the surgeon's office. She spoke with Dr. Watts, and I've been scheduled for an EGD on Monday. I'm not sure if this will just be exploratory or if they'll widen the opening while they're down there, but...yeah.
I'm kinda nervous about it, so prayers would be appreciated. It would just be nice to actually eat the foods that I'm supposed to without worrying about them getting stuck and me eventually throwing up!

1 comment:
Oh my! So sorry! I know how frustrating it can be throwing up certains foods - I still am having problems with my throat clamping down and not allowing food to pass through. Hope it the procedure goes well! Love you!
Post a Comment