Thursday, October 18, 2012

Almost There!

The pictures below were taken five years apart at the exact same point in pregnancy:

The picture on the left is of me at 37 weeks in 2007. I weighed over 350 pounds at that point (no idea how much I actually weighed because the scale at my OB's office topped out at 350 pounds and I passed that at the 12-week mark of that particular pregnancy...I'm guessing I was at least 370-380 lbs by the end, though). My face was extremely swollen from pre-eclampsia and I was induced one week after this picture was taken. I was quite miserable.

The picture on the right is of me at 37 weeks in 2012. I think my latest weight was around 245 or so, meaning I've gained about 35-40 pounds this pregnancy. I had a jump in weight gain at my appointment last week, but my doctor says it's pretty much all fluid buildup, judging from the state of my swollen lower legs and feet. Nothing else is swollen, though (my wedding rings are STILL loose!), and still absolutely no sign of pre-e. Isn't that amazing? I'm apparently already dilated 2.5cm as of last Friday and my doctor doubts I will last until my due date. I received this news with mixed feelings...I mean, as eager as I am for the birth, there's still so much to do to get ready!

But honestly, this whole pregnancy has just FLOWN by. I can't believe I'm only three weeks away (or less!) from meeting this little bugger that loves to kick my ribs and seems to prefer the right side of my belly to the left. It almost feels like I'm going through pregnancy for the first time...maybe it's because I feel just so much more in tune with my body now and I can actually see the baby's movements from the outside. Plus, my husband can feel them more easily, too.

Somehow I've been able to keep up with working my normal FT job, spend time with my 4-year-old, do transcription from home in the evenings, and still have the energy to clean the kitchen (once in a while). I almost feel bad for the myself-from-five-years-ago because she had no clue how much easier pregnancy could be if only she'd been healthier. THIS is why I did what I did to lose weight, and that is reinforced to me as each day passes.

Oh, and knowing I can start trying to lose weight in a month or so is kind of exciting, too :) Hopefully breastfeeding will help the weight just fall off. I WILL be under 200 pounds someday soon!

7 comments:

Brianne said...

You look a million times better, Carina. Seriously. I'm glad you're so much healthier; it has made and will make the whole experience much more pleasant! It really has flown by, hasn't it? Weren't you just telling us that you're pregnant? :-o

Megan and Kevin said...

Wow you look amazing!

Ali said...

I don't even recognize you in that first picture, which is weird since we were working together then! You look AMAZING! I cannot emphasize enough what a great inspiration you are!

Writing Group Blog said...

Well, you've always been a beautiful person, Carina. But you do look radiant now, and I am so proud and happy for you for seriously changing your life. I can't wait to see this little guy! Good work, mama!

Debbie Fenn said...

Carina, you look amazing! You really are an inspiration for working hard to get healthy.I am so happy for you!

Mamapierce said...

You look beautiful, Carina! You are just glowing. So happy for you. :)

Anonymous said...

That's my beautiful daughter there! Soooo proud of you! Everyone is right;you do look amazing. It's hard to recognize you from the first pregnancy. I'm grateful you did this, Carina. See you soon!