Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Support Group

I went to a support group meeting tonight...my first time going to one with people who had my same surgeon. It was a nice, intimate little gathering--there were maybe 10 of us there, with two who have yet to have the surgery, plus the therapist (who said she didn't even recognize me! Granted, I last saw her at my pre-surgery consult almost a year ago...). We had a brief lesson on breathing correctly, making sure we relax ourselves and breathe deeply enough, and then the floor opened up for questions/comments.

It really made me think about what I've been through and how hard this road has been for me. I mean, I know that a lot of people think having weight loss surgery is the "easy way," and that those who do it don't know what it's like to lose weight "on your own." To that, I say YOU TRY IT! It has been anything BUT easy. Okay, I will admit that the actual losing weight part hasn't been incredibly difficult. But the struggle of going through surgery (twice, in my case), dealing with the emotional fall-out from no longer being able to self-medicate with food, learning to discipline myself with what I can and cannot eat, eating slowly and chewing my bites thoroughly, working out to strengthen the muscles that I've lost...it's been the hardest thing ever.

One guy brought up a cool analogy. He said that losing weight before surgery was, for him, like trying to build a house without a hammer. It was still possible, but it was incredibly difficult. Having the surgery was the hammer for him. Now, he still has to put in a lot of work to actually build the house (lose weight), but with the hammer, he can do it much more efficiently and quickly. Does that make sense?

Of course, weight loss surgery is not for everyone. Some don't want it, some do but don't feel like it's right, and others don't need it. But it has been a miracle for me. It has been my hammer. I still have had to work hard to conquer this war I've been waging my entire life, and it's still a constant struggle. But once again, I was reminded tonight of something that I'm sure I've said before on this blog: if I had known a year ago how hard this would be and how much I would struggle--two surgeries, two EGDs, ulcers, difficulty eating anything, throwing up, etc.--I still would choose to do it. It has saved my life.

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

SO GLAD you were able to attend a support group. I have heard that they are super helpful. I am so glad that this surgery has been your hammer to help you through it. As you know, if God told me to do the surgery - I would! Thank you for your support for me in my much slower weight loss process. You are awesome! :D

Carina said...

Thanks, Jill. I totally understand that this surgery isn't for everyone, especially those for whom God apparently has other plans :) You're amazing, too!

Writing Group Blog said...

Yay for saving your life! The world needs Carina around for as long as possible! Love you!

Svedi Pie said...

Carina! I love the way you put things. It just makes such good sense! And Congrats on 200 lbs that's amazing and anyone who has read even one of your blog posts would know how hard you worked to be where you're at. You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you, Carina. You have worked hard for years with this battle. Hammer in hand, you are succeeding and achieving good health at last. I am so grateful.