Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Skin and Bones

Wow, it's been almost six weeks since I last posted. Guess I just didn't have a whole lot to say! I felt like doing so today, so here's the latest.

I had my six-month check-up last month. Labs were good and BP was just slightly elevated--it wasn't even mentioned by the surgeon. And I'm feeling great. I even walked to my sister's house tonight to return a toy of her daughter's that was left at our house, and my son and I raced back--and running wasn't a problem! Hallelujah! I even kept up with him (though I'm not sure he was giving it his all...)!

It's hard to believe, but I am steadily approaching 250 lbs--I'm just over six pounds away. 250 is the weight that my surgeon told me to I would likely get to between 12 and 18 months after surgery...and it's only been seven months. It feels like almost daily I pull clothes out of my closet and wonder if they'll fit--so I try them on and not only do they fit, but they're almost a little baggy. It's such a weird feeling.

It's strange to see some of my bones starting to show. My collarbone, for instance--hey, haven't seen you in a few years! In fact, I only saw you briefly for about a year during my whole adult life! Good to see you again :) And I was laying down on my bed tonight and realized, whoa, that's my ribcage sticking out just a tad (not that it shows when I stand up, but it's been ages that I've felt them stick out even when lying down). And I really notice a distinct lack of padding on when I sit on a hard chair.

My skin sags all over. At least it's mainly in areas I usually keep covered by clothes. And I'm sure it will lessen with time and as I work to tone those muscles. Sometimes it bothers me, that I'll never really be rid of it, these saggy, stretch mark-covered batwings on my arms and elsewhere...but then I realize, these are my battle scars. I have been through a war, and I'm finally winning--but I'll never be the same person I was before, and I need those reminders to help me remember and motivate me to never go back.

I can conquer anything.

5 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

Oh my gosh Carina - I hate to say the same old trite thing, but wow! I am so impressed and in awe of you. Way to stick with the hard thing and overcome. You are simply incredible and I love and miss you!!

Mamapierce said...

How very excited to be almost to 250! That's awesome! You are doing so well - so proud of you! Does your insurance cover skin removal? Some insurances will cover skin removal - so look into it. :D

The Hulls said...

You CAN conquer anything! And you look wonderful. Love you girl!

Writing Group Blog said...

I wanna see updated pictures! You are truly amazing! Way to go, girl.

suzanne said...

Yes! Please post pictures? It was so fun to see your skinny mom at the reunion! Now I can't wait to see the new skinny Carina! Really, really proud of you, my dear! I know how hard you've been working, and you're correct, you have battle scars. Battle scars from a war well fought and won. I love you, Sweetie. I can't wait to see you...my dear sweet, skinny niece!