
I still sometimes have a hard time believing that I'm actually improving with my running, but today I had an epiphany and had to document.
The collage above are two screenshots from MapMyRun, the app I use to track my running. At the end of your run, it gives you a synopsis of your run, including total distance, average pace per mile, elevation, and splits. It's the best way to compare apples to apples, since a longer run will usually mean running slower and all that.
The left screenshot is from a timed 5K race in April 2016. It was around this time that I was just barely starting to think that mmmmaybe I kinda-sorta liked this whole running idea, and mmmmmaybe I might do it more often. I wasn't able to run that whole 5K, but I went as hard as I could and I walked when I couldn't keep up with the running any longer. I was overall pretty happy with my time for that race.
The right screenshot is from what I thought was a "short, easy run" before work this morning. I ran the whole time and never once felt like I needed to stop and walk, even on the inclines. To be honest, I didn't even feel like I was pushing all that hard. If it had been a race, I'm sure I would have gone much faster, especially at the end.
These two runs were not on the same course, but they are similar enough that looking at them side by side was eye-opening. Very similar distance. Almost exact same elevation gain. But the overall time and average pace per mile? That's where you can really see how much faster I've gotten in five months. I'm stronger and have more stamina. I've lose weight and gained even better heart health. I've grown to really enjoy running, and have since done a 10K and signed up for a half marathon.
Running is awesome.

1 comment:
I finally checked my blog again, which linked me to your blog again, and I just want to say again how amazing I think you are (and how I've always thought that, for the record). You are incredible at achieving your goals, and I am so proud to be your friend! You are inspiring! Mwah!
Post a Comment